Thursday, August 4, 2011

Crock Pot Cooking


Yes, I live in Texas and I know that it gets hot in the summer. But, can we please catch a break? It's terrible. All week it's supposed to be between 104 & 107. I feel as if I might faint every single time I walk outside to water my plants. Not really, but it's bad! We are in a terrible drought that I predicted last year when I finally bought my Hunter rain boots. I wish it would rain constantly for a week. If it does, I promise not to complain about running errands with my three babes in the rain. Pinky promise.

So what is one to do about cooking when it is burning up outside? I used to say go out to eat but that was before I got on Dave Ramsey's bandwagon. I now bust out the crock pot and leave the oven turned off. Yesterday I did meatloaf that was so good. It lacked in presentation, but thankfully my husband and kids didn't mind. Also, when has meatloaf every really been that pretty?

Today I am attempting my chicken enchilada recipe in the crock pot. This is my mother-in-law's recipe and the enchiladas are stacked, not rolled. It's super yum and a meal that my family of 5 enjoy. That, in itself, is a miracle.

So, without further ado, here's the recipe:

*2 cups of cooked chicken. This can either be cubed or shredded.
*2 cans cream of chicken soup
*8 ounces sour cream
*4 ounce can green chilies (chopped)
*2 cups shredded cheese
*8-10 corn tortillas

1. Spray crock with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Mix chicken, soup, sour cream & green chilies in a bowl
3. Tear apart tortillas and arrange in a layer. I usually tear one into 4 pieces.
4. Pour half of chicken mixture over tortillas and spread into an even layer.
5. Sprinkle half of your cheese over chicken mixture.
6. Repeat steps 3 through 5.
7. Put lid on top and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.

I promise this is easy and I can put it all together while my 3 kids are playing in the kitchen all around me.

I have also used all different types of chicken. Sometimes I will shred a rotisserie chicken from the store and use. Today I sauteed chicken breasts in butter and garlic.

Hope everyone is doing great. Stay cool and don't melt!

No comments:

Post a Comment